The entire school community endeavours to follow the school motto of being:
Caring, Responsible and Confident
- Respecting and valuing others has a high priority, as has being honest, reliable and using good manners.
- We take advantage of our local area to support classroom programmes and develop a love for our environment e.g., we have a long term planting programme to develop a wetland that will not only encourage kukupa back into the area, but will provide a rich and safe environment for science/nature studies. Our Environmental Education programme encourages care of our environment. We want our children to have aspirations for their future. Some have unemployed parents and some live in difficult conditions. We want to make sure our children know they have the skills and ability to leave our isolated valley with the confidence to develop an interesting and rewarding career.
- We are a Sun Smart, Health Promoting & Environmental School
- We are trying to provide an attractive, clean and stimulating setting for our pupils in the belief that this will encourage a commitment to the positive forms of desirable behaviour, including learning behaviour. Each year we are trying to add further artistic features to our playground or buildings. We believe we are effective, pupils respect staff, each other and school property. We celebrate our Maori roll by providing the opportunity for the children to join our Kapa Haka Group and Te Reo is taught throughout the school as well as official events and assemblies recognising our Maori character.
- Teacher Professional Development is carefully planned to improve learning outcomes
- The children have an adventure playground, a swimming pool, a sandpit, trampolines, a confidence course, a designated library, a tennis/netball court, playing fields and a gymnasium hall as well as shade areas.
- All students in year 4 – 8 have 1-1 devices provided by the school. We also have a range of digital technologies for the use of students in years 1 – 4
- Parents are welcome in our school and often spend time assisting students and teachers.
- In term 2 we hold three way interviews, which are student led and parents and the teacher have input into, in terms 2 & 4 we send home written reports.
- We try to take advantage of inter-school sports events and coaches who offer training session to schools.